One of the first warnings I got about restaurant jobs was from
my family, the warning was simply not to work in kitchens. I was, quote, “smarter than that”. I later
found out that it wasn't just my family being pretentious but that most people
do have negative opinions about kitchen worker intelligence, especially full
time cooks. Telling people I cook full time versus telling them I cook part
time and go to school, generally get very different responses. It is
understandable, however, that those statements do get different responses. The
stereotype of the drinking, swearing, partying, living pay check to pay check
cook isn't that far off. But lifestyle choice doesn't have much to do with intelligence.
Talk to most people who work in
restaurants and find out that they are not dumb at all. Egotistical, weird , conceited,
awkward or just socially inept most
likely, but definitely not dumb.
It
always ranges of course and like every job for one genius there is always one dumb ass. But just because dumb ass can’t cook doesn't make him stupid. (and
for the most part if dumb ass can’t learn to cook he’s not going to stick around for long)
Most of the people in kitchens come from other lines of work
and education; marketing, sociology, music majors etc . I worked with a guy who dropped out of second year engineering school to
be a cook. (Not going to lie if I was educationally inclined enough to be an
engineer I would just stick with that shit.) They don’t do it because it’s
easier than school or it makes more money (believe me on this one) it’s simply
a matter of doing what they want. That doesn't make anyone stupid.
No comments:
Post a Comment