I don't really know what it's really all about but cooks with egos are always the worst at their job. To be fair they aren’t completely awful but for the amount of shit they brag about and how often (and loudly) they critique others you would expect a lot more than mediocrity from them.
It’s not just the loud ones who have egos though. They’re just the ones who aren’t afraid to say what they are thinking. Nor are they afraid to sound condescending while saying whatever the ego is saying. It seems everyone who works in a kitchen has some sort of ego going around (pastry chefs and dishwashers included in this one. Although dishwashers are usually the first to notice that nobody cares about their dishwashing abilities) Ego is not usually a bad thing in a kitchen though. It’s important to be confident that what you are doing is right or will at least get the job done. Most of the time arrogance is a great way to learn in kitchens. If there is something that cooks love it’s telling someone how wrong they are doing something and then showing them the right way to do it. It’s actually pretty cute. Team work right?
On the other side of things a cook’s arrogance can be just plain fucking annoying. Mostly because it leads to some pretty retarded ideas about things, as it is usually the person who complains the loudest who gets their way.
Some of the things they guys brag about are pretty amusing though. Work is a constant “I’m better than you because” game with the boys. [ I play it to I’m just not as good as they are =P.] The other day some of the guys were talking about how fast they can bike. One of them stated that he usually bikes around 50km/h. I don’t know if anyone reading this cycles a lot but speedometer states that I can get up to 35- 40k pedaling like I’m on crack DOWNHILL and that feels scary fast. Wtf you guys, wtf.
[I can honestly say the constant alpha male battle is because there are too many dominant males in the same vicinity. In case you really wanted to get psychoanalytical about it. =) ]
No comments:
Post a Comment